Sunday, August 21, 2016

Day Five - WCCES, Jingshan Park, Wangfujing Street

After morning conference sessions, Dick and I taxied to Jingshan Park. Along the main path, there are large, colorful sculptures of insects that delight children visiting with their parents.




Ascending the steep hill to its pavilions, you get the only overlook into the Forbidden City. Unfortunately, it was a smoggy day, so the colors of our photos are not bright. Still, the view helps the viewer realize just how huge the Forbidden City is.






There was also the fun chance to dress up in imperial costumes for a photo --



After that, we walked to Wangfujing Street, a pedestrian street that is a main shopping district. I was disappointed in it. The choices were somewhat junky souvenir stores or ridiculously expensive Western stores like Cartier and Prada. Wishing we had hit the famous Silk Market instead.




I admit, I was sorry that I was not hungry in that district, as there were some Western fast-food places. I'm an adventurous traveler, but my stomach is not, and I am typically content to have Chinese food no more than once/month. At this point, even a McDonald's burger would be welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment