Thursday, August 25, 2016

Overview Beijing 2016

Ming Tombs
Every three years, the World Congress of Comparative Education Society, of which I am a member, has a conference in remarkable places around the world. Through it, I have presented in and visited Havana in 2004, Bosnia in 2008, missed Buenos Aires in 2012, and now am in Beijing, China for the 24th WCCES conference. The Conference is amazing, in terms of discussions between Western and Chinese scholars questioning purposes and methods of education among their countries. It is being held at Beijing Normal University, a beautiful campus on the second ring of Beijing city. Ironically, it has been a good opportunity to catch up with a handful of scholars from the US and Canada that I frequently miss at domestic conferences, and to meet new ones. I've made several connections for Tokyo, where I'll be a Visiting Professor next year, so that will help me settle in next April. I also met a couple from the University of Sussex in England, where I hope to be a Fulbright researcher in 2018.

Helping Conference participants find their way!

Opening Session
My husband Richard came with me, and we got in some sightseeing on the weekend before the conference. We have also squeezed in short trips after daily conference sessions. I'm writing this blog to keep my memories and to share with anyone who might be interested.

We flew from Tampa to Chicago, and then Chicago-Beijing. The time difference is exactly 12 hours, so no need to change my watch! A two-hour delay on the tarmac in Chicago made an already long flight (13.5 hours) longer. I managed to get decent sleep on the plane, though, and was ok arriving into the Beijing Airport. The travel service we picked for tours was right there to take us to our hotel, and we arrived at night, so just went to bed in preparation for a busy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment